Thursday 11 November 2010

Making it up as I go along

I had the urge to sew on Sunday, after getting out my Nature's Chorus layer cake and finally opening it to see all the fabrics. So, no plan in mind, and just moving squares of fabric around on our dining table, I started to cut and sew.

This is what I've got so far:

In doing this I have discovered a few things. First, layer cakes are not necessarily square, and not square either (meaning the dimensions aren't exactly 10 by 10 inches, and the corners are not 90 degrees). Not according to my quilter's ruler anyhow.

Second, making things up as I go is a lot of fun.

Third, I am not nearly so fussy with my points when I sew this way. Good or bad?

4 comments:

suzitee said...

Gorgeous! I'm a bit surprised about the Layer cake not being square and exactly the right measurements...makes it a bit tricky. Your quilt is looking great...I wonder how big it will end up?

Nelbel said...

I love the colours Hope!!

Beckie said...

It's looking very pretty, I love the fabric. how clever are you making it up as you go, i'd be lucky to make one with a pattern LOL.

Leisa@Scrapsidaisy said...

Such pretty fabrics Hope and the "not quite square" bit would make me mad!! I have no patience though - lol! Can't wait to see the finished product.