Wednesday 28 October 2015

Aunt - 1930s Farmers Wife Sampler

The 1930s Farmers Wife Sampler quilt sew-alongs are well under way. I've decided to make blocks as and when I can, and not try to keep up with anything. There is so much else that must take priority. So, here is block 8 from the book - Aunt - all fussy cut except the rectangles.


I'm using old clothes that I've kept in a bag in my sewing room for several years now, meaning to use them for a hexagon quilt I started. Well, there are plenty of clothes in that bag, so I'm using them for this sampler quilt too. They're all worn out or torn beyond repair, and are oh-so-soft from all the use. This quilt will look and feel well used from the moment it's finished.

The old clothes do present a few challenges. One must find the parts that are still sturdy, try to deal with the warping that wear brings, and the softness is also a bit challenging. I could starch them, but have decided against it. I like that soft feeling, and my first block turned out well.

Not all the blocks in the book appeal to me, so I won't make all 99. I'm thinking enough for a lap quilt will be fine. We'll see how I go!

Are you joining in the sew-along too?

Bye for now x

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Looks like you are off to a great start Hope. Such a great idea to use old clothing. I'm discovering that there are several blocks I'm not fond of or that don't look good on point (I like the setting in the book). I'm going to make all 99 for the accuracy practice, but I may end up splitting them up into different uses once I'm done.

Celestino Arturo said...


But Dr. Itua, Traditional Herbal Practitioner in Africa, has cured HIV/Cancer which is extracted from some rare herbs. It is highly potential to cure AIDS & Cancer 100% without any residue. Dr Itua herbal medicine has already passed various blogs on how he uses his powerful herbs to heal all kinds of diseases such as. Herpes, HIV,,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer, Diabetes, Hepatitis,Hpv,Weak Erection Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Alzheimer’s disease,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,

Dementia.,Wart Remover,Cold Sore, Epilepsy, also his herbal boost immune system as well. I'm telling this because he uses his herbal medicine to cure me from hepatitis B and HIV, which I have been living on for 9 months now with no side effects. Herbal Medicine is just as good when drinking it although i have to use the restroom after drinking it which I don't really care about because i just want to get the virus out of my body, I will recommend Dr Itua to anyone sick out here to contact Dr Itua with this following information.

Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com /  
Webstore https://drituaherbalcenter.com/shop/
He might be late to respond because he is always busy with patents, but he will surely get back to you with a positive response.